EXPO is a forum for the world to share knowledge
More to the point, it's a celebration of scientific inventions, cool technology and cultural innovation. A place to share ideas that will shape our future. And debate solutions to the problems of humankind.
Highlights of EXPOs past:
- Digital water wall (Zaragoza, Spain, 2008): Curtains of water display images and words, and automatically part to let people pass through.
- Typewriter (Buffalo, USA, 1901)
- Ketchup (Chicago, USA, 1893)
- Telephone (Philadelphia, USA, 1876)
EXPO is defined by its theme
Pressing global debate…international issues consuming scientists, politicians, academics. EXPO's theme takes on an international challenge. Every country's exhibit and pavilion delivers a unique perspective on that challenge.
- Better city, better life (Shanghai, China, 2010)
- Water and sustainable development (Zaragoza, Spain, 2008)
- Humankind, nature, technology (Hanover, Germany, 2000)
- World in motion, world in touch (Vancouver, Canada 1986)
What you see and do at EXPO
EXPO opens a door onto the world stage. You'll connect with people from across the globe. You'll take in music, dance and drama related to the theme: Le Cirque du Soleil, for example, performed in Zaragoza in 2008. You'll experience new technologies firsthand. You'll find out answers to questions you've never even dreamt of, from some of the world's most creative minds. The way you see the world will change.
EXPOs transform a city
Every city is left with a lasting legacy: roads, transportation, housing, public spaces, world-class architecture.
- Eiffel Tower (Paris, France, 1889)
- Balboa Park (San Diego, California, 1915)
- Space Needle (Seattle, Washington, 1962)
EXPOs come in different sizes
- Registered EXPOs run for 6 months, attracting up to 70 million visitors
- Registered EXPOs happen twice a decade: in years ending in 0 and 5
- Recognized EXPOs last for 3 months, with up to 20 million visitors
- Recognized EXPOs are held in the years between Registered EXPOs. Edmonton is bidding for a Recognized EXPO